Put Your Best Foot Forward
April is National Foot Health Awareness Month and it is also the perfect time to think about how much we count on our feet each day, and how important it is to develop healthy habits to keep them free of pain. According to the American Podiatric Medical Association, approximately 20 percent of the U.S. population has at least one-foot problem annually. At Kentlands Foot and Ankle Center, our podiatrist, Dr. Jon M. Sherman, is Board Certified in Foot Surgery by the American Board of Podiatric Surgery. Dr. Sherman is also a Fellow of the American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons, all of which set him apart from other podiatrists.
Fun Facts About Feet
- Each foot is composed of 26 bones, 33 joints, and over 100 muscles and tendons.
- Together both feet contain 1/4 of the bones in the entire body.
- The average person, over their lifetime, will walk approximately the same distance as if they had walked around the earth 4 times.
- 5 times a person’s body weight is transmitted through each foot with every step!
How To Maintain Healthy Feet
- Try foot massages or reflexology.
- Soak your feet in Epsom salt if they are sore.
- Change your socks daily.
- Share footwear
- Wear poor-fitting shoes
- Try “DIY” fixes for your foot problems
When To Visit a Podiatrist
The field of podiatry strives to improve the overall health and well-being of patients by focusing on preventing, diagnosing, and treating conditions associated with the foot and ankle. It is time to see a podiatrist anytime you have foot or ankle discomfort, changes in the appearance of your feet, abnormal growth, an injury, or a medical condition that affects your feet. It is also very important to have an annual check-up with your podiatrist to maintain healthy feet.
To schedule an appointment at our Gaithersburg, MD office, please call (301) 330-5666 or visit our website for more information.